In terms of translating, I'm still trapped right in the Vamdemon arc. The main reason for this is that the earlier episodes have a lot of the lines cut out from the anime since they were stripped down to the main plot, but a lot of very important things happened in the Vamdemon arc that got retained in the game - plus the game also added a ton of extra subplots and scenes, which definitely makes this one of the longest arcs in the game!
In the hopes you'll all forgive me, here are some excuses on why it's not going as quickly as it should be:
- School and work. School is probably the biggest obstacle to the speed of my work, but having a few hours subtracted every day for my job definitely isn't helping either. Unfortunately, I'm taking summer school this year, so I can't even guarantee that my speed will go up that much during the summer (though I will try my best, since I want this game translated as much as you do).
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth came out and there went a ton of my hours. It's an amazing game, by the way. (And before you ask, we've got way too much on our plate now to even consider translating that, because on top of more time, we'd need 1) the ability to actually hack the Vita, because nobody can do that yet and 2) for me to gain about ten levels in translation skills - Adventure PSP is for kids and uses kids' language, but Cyber Sleuth decidedly does not!)
Oh, and in case you've been living under a rock the past few months, Digimon Adventure tri. is going to be a thing. I doubt this will have any major retroactive influence on my translation choices, since the game is written in fairly unambiguous Japanese and most (if not all) plot points have been made abundantly clear in Adventure. But who knows? (I'm hoping to be able to give the script a final revision before we make our absolute final patch - it's a testament to how long this patch has been taking when my translation writing skills have been going through noticeable changes over the course of the story, considering the way I wrote for chapter 33 isn't quite the same as how I wrote for chapter 1.)
I don't want to keep you all tortured for too long, so as soon as I get through this arc, hopefully we'll be able to release another interim patch!
To close this post, since many of you have been discussing what you want to see as priority in the patch, here is what I would ideally like to see released for interim, in order (although how xhai implements them may be different):
- Menu, attacks, and item descriptions
- Episodes and sub-episodes (note that I cannot prioritize the regular episodes over the sub-episodes, since the sub-episodes are interim stories between the main plot - and frankly a lot of you are probably here to see those, since they're the main source of original content that's not in the anime!)
- Hard Mode Digital Dungeon
- Episode descriptions
- Digimon Encyclopedia (or, like what my avid Pokémon fan calls it, the "Digidex")
- Movie menu and other extras
Anyway, I'm really sorry about this slow pace and hopefully we'll be able to release this sometime in the near future, though we still have a long way to go since this game is quite text-heavy and the PSP is not exactly a pleasant console to be hacking. But I love Digimon, I love this game, and I love Adventure, and I'm really hoping to give others the chance to play this game!